Turning 5 was a big milestone for Kenna in more ways than one. Besides starting school, we started a more structured chore routine. Kenna has always liked to help out around the house. Her favorite thing to do is clean the toilets. I have no idea why.
To encourage her helpful nature and a little responsibility, I decided to formalize her chores. She loves it and will get upset with me if I do something that is on her list of tasks. To start off, things are pretty simple and at this point she isn't aware that some kids get money for doing chores so we are going to milk this free labor for as long as possible. She helps pull weeds in our landscaping, helps move wet clothes to the dryer and unload the dryer when it is done. Cleaning toilets is a must as well as the occasional dusting and taking out the trash bag and putting in a new one (Dad still takes it out to the garage). Kenna also loves to sweep which is good because I probably sweep our wood floors once a day. The normal things like picking up after herself doesn't count as a chore and is a bit harder for her to do for some reason. Maybe if I called it a chore she would be more interested?
She is also in charge of putting certain items away after I fold. See example of her work below! Oh well, I'll take all the help I can get until Ryan allows me to have a cleaning lady!
Sunday, August 25, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment