Lately Kenna has been doing pretty well with her biting. I kind of thought that either the kids figured out to stay away from her or she was SLOWLY growing out of this phase. She has her days though and yesterday was one of them. Some innocent little boy was in line in front of her and she didn't want him there so she bit him.
Nine times out of 10 she admits when she does it. I talk to her about it immediately at daycare and then tell her that she has to tell her Daddy when she gets home. Kenna really doesn't like to do that. Lately we've been telling her no treats because she was naughty by biting. Unfortunately that isn't really effective because we don't usually give her candy or 'treats' (mainly because she doesn't ask for them). Yesterday one of her little classmates brought them happy meals for lunch since it was her birthday and Kenna got a toy with it. When we got home she wanted to play with it and I told her no because she had bitten her little friend. I saw the little light flicker in her head but I'm still not sure she fully comprehends consequences.
Ryan came home and she did all she could to avoid and change the subject. She even pulled out the "I go potty" and took off toward the bathroom. Later on in the night Ryan brought it up again and did the unthinkable....he bit her. Now before anyone calls DHS, he basically rested his teeth on her arm. I nearly had a panic attack so I can imagine how Kenna felt. She got pretty worked up so I'd like to think that it worked. We've heard from countless people that biting them back is what it takes....I could just never bring myself to do it.
I think Ryan had just come to the end of his rope. We are running out of excuses for her biting. We use to say it was because she was teething or she was tired or she couldn't communicate but she's getting to the age where she knows it is wrong. Earlier this week one of the teachers suggested we monitor Kenna's aggressive behavior. It's not that she's naughty, she just doesn't like people in her personal space. Basically she is just like me but I don't bite! :) Since she cannot communicate well yet, when someone gets too close her reaction is to bite that person. The funny thing is that it's not with all kids...just certain ones and it usually happens in the morning. Hopefully by the teachers writing down all her aggressive behaviors, we can figure out what triggers her and help her learn how to interact better with all kids. Who knew this whole parenting thing would be so difficult?!?
Thursday, September 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment